Our agent contacted us a month after our own house sold and showed us one house. It had almost everything we had wanted in a house but it had a neglected pool right at the back door of the house and there were two ugly cracks next to the light in the pool. Although the house was nice, I could not imagine waking up every day looking out the window and looking at this eyesore. Someone had rented space in the garage and it was covered with a thick layer of fine pottery dust. We had heard that this dust causes cancer when inhaled and we discussed it and decided it would be too much of a tricky task to clean it up and not make ourselves or our dog sick.

After that our agent’s attitude was I found what you were looking for and I am not going to waste my time looking for something else.

We had viewed about 18 houses and I was starting to feel tired. Rushing after work, fretting while stuck in peak hour traffic arriving at houses and finding that the estate agent had totally ignored my instructions that we did not want a property with a pool, Jacuzzi or bidet. Which was either next to or across from an empty stand or shop and was not a corner property.

In the beginning when I started requesting viewing of properties online I contacted an agent named Alice and she did not reply to my request to view. Usually I would just leave it but strangely on this occasion I phoned her the next day, to enquire and she made some excuses something like there was already an offer on the house.

Anyway, she asked me what were we looking for and she phone me again afterwards to say that she had a house on a main road in an area where I grew up and although I really very much wanted to move back to my childhood neighbourhood. There was a member of the family that I knew would object greatly if I suggested a house on the main road and so I declined a viewing. It is also much further for me to travel to and from work.

Our own agent then phoned me and said that we must be out of the house by end March. We panicked and I scolded him for only showing us one house. His defence was that there were no houses in the price range I had given him  … although I had found 18 others!

We were wondering if we should not take the house with the tall trees & woody front garden. It had a feeling about it … like we belonged there, we all felt it but there were too many issues with the garage & driveway.

We were told by Alice that there was a couple that had dropped the price on their house drastically because they wanted to return to the U.K.
HOUSE DANDAZI 1-tile
We viewed the property and it had a large front garden and was quite nice apart from the fact that it had terrible creaking floors in all the bedrooms and kitchen. She told us there was an offer on the table but that it was a bond application that might not go through. So we made an offer. Alice told us she had an insider that could supply us info about the bond application and she would let us know within 3 days whether the bond was successful or not. By the end of the week I felt like time was running out for us and Alice had heard nothing.

Our own agent suggested I view a second house with him. It was under a ramp on a busy road, had a fish pond, Jacuzzi and large swimming pool! When I said that it was not what we were looking for he threw such a fit that I agreed to view it. Not a bad house, the fish pond fountain helped to disguise the noise coming from the traffic on the road. I declined it, for people who entertain a lot it will be perfect but not for us. Then I told him we had made an offer on another house and we will wait and see what happens.

The next day at work I sat worrying, what if the bond application was successful, then we were wasting time. We would have to pay occupational rent to the new owner of our old house and still find somewhere to move to. The next day I went online again and landed upon a property, which I had seen advertised for two months, but never requested a viewing, because I had assumed that it had already sold and because it was also way above our price range. This time though, I noticed that the price had come down quite drastically and the agent who brought it down had shown us a property a few weeks before so I had already met her. I requested a viewing.
HOUSE FACE BRICK 1-tile
We met the agent at a small shop, in the neighbourhood where I had grown up and we followed her to the house which was situated on the main road and I immediately said to myself Alice is going to kill me this must be the property I declined to view. But on reflection it was probably too high priced at that time for us anyway.

We viewed the house and the family member who I thought would object to living on the main road insisted this was the property for us, she liked the fact that the house had a lot of tiled floors and two bathrooms. I was not really impressed. When we got home I loaded the pics online again and to my horror found that it was a property on a corner stand and that I had not noticed it while we were there because the agent and her husband and the couple living there had all been talking to us and distracted us. We went for a second viewing the next day and signed the offer papers. I still say it is not really what I had in mind, but I sort of gave up in the end. The other family members are happy and excited though. I hope I can find a dry safe place for the black dog to sleep.

I believe a corner stand is not safe because the backdoor of the property is always visible and accessible from the road. I contacted Alice and told her that we are withdrawing our offer on the creaking floors property and when she found out that it was the property on the main road she turned nasty and said. “You made an offer which is under legal obligations and you will be sued if you do not see it through.” and “By not viewing and buying the property on the main road from me you have taken my bread and butter from me.”

I spoke to our own agent and he said there is no way she can threaten us with legal action because it was a backup offer and did not materialise as an offer before I withdrew it.

Anyway the other people’s bond was successful so our offer would not have been accepted. Everything turned out well.

We move the end of March.
Advertisements